Tai Chi is recognised to promote physical and mental wellbeing for people of all ages. Chi Me for Kids is a new programme designed to lead children aged from 5-17 in Chi Me sessions.
Sessions can be short or long and can be done in the classroom, playground, youth club and even before bedtime!
It can also help children with special needs such as ADHD, Autism, Hyperactivity and Behavioural Issues to cope with their condition. It can be adapted for seated users, those with physical disability and visual and hearing impaired.
In a time when children are often over stimulated and tense we are seeing an increased rise in anxiety and stress in even the youngest children. Chi Me for Kids is designed to help children relax, breathe and have fun.
The Chi Me for Kids form will follow and adapt the ancient form of ‘Five Animal Frolics’
Chi Me for Kids if practiced regularly can:
- Reduce anxiety and stress levels
- Improve focus and concentration
- Improve memory and enhance creativity
- Improve motor skills and co-ordination
- Reduce inappropriate behaviour
- Promote a sense of calm and wellbeing
- Improve balance, strength, muscle tone, agility, flexibility and stamina
- Improve self-esteem
Who is it for ?
Anyone who is working with children and is concerned with stress and anxiety children in their care may be experiencing. This could be in a volunteer or employed capacity.
Chi Me for Kids training is divided into 2 x 6 hour workshops and 1x 2 hour workshop. The ususal format is the 6 hour workshops take place one week apart with the follow up workshop around 4 weeks later.
By the end of the training the Chi Me for Kids:
- To equip the Chi Me for Kids leader to teach a form of movements appropriate for children aged 5 – 17
- To teach leaders Chi Me games
- To enable leaders to adapt the Chi Me for Kids session according to group ability and/or time constraints
- To ensure leaders understand current Child Protection legislation
- To ensure leaders understand Health and Safety relating to physical activity